No smart ass wannabe comments, no anecdotes making fun of anyone, no sarcasm or bitchiness.
As far as I can tell, we all are trying to live our lives with less stress, more energy and quite simply, more happiness.
We live our lives in our bodies, and as long as these bodies are better treated, the easier it will be to achieve Nirvana.
Hmmm…well…OK, let’s move on to the list!
1) SLEEP: You should be getting about 8 hours of deep sleep a night.
Make a concerted effort to go to bed by 10 pm. Sleep in a pitch black, cool environment with no electronics. If that is not possible: wake up earlier instead of going to bed later and unplug any electronics.
2) DRINK WATER: 1 litre (4 cups) for each 50 lbs of body weight.
If you’re like 90% of the people I know, you are chronically dehydrated. That causes pain, stiffness and constipation. Don’t freak out, just wake up and start your day with a big glass of water. Have a water bottle near you during the day and keep drinking and drinking, until you drink all the water that your body needs.
3) EAT LESS JUNK: If it comes from a box, it is suspicious. The more processed it is, the worse it is for you. The longer the shelf life, the more poisonous it is. Sugar, table salt and white flour are all well known as “White Death”. Lactose and gluten are highly allergenic. And a lot of people are intolerant to them and don’t know it. If your diet is perfect 90% of the time you will be leaner, stronger, healthier and happier.
4) BREATHE: Slow down, go for a walk, relax, listen to calming music. Anything that will help you to recover. If you keep pushing hard all the time, you end up breaking. We already live busy lives full of commitments. There are a lot of things that our bodies and minds are subjected to on a daily basis: packed tight schedules, bills to pay, traffic, other people’s attitude. Think about energy as a bank account you can’t keep withdrawing all the time – at some point you have to make a deposit, otherwise the consequences will be disastrous. So, breathe!
5) MOVE: The human body wasn’t designed to sit for hours and hours non-stop. Walk, take a step class, lift weights, do karate, dance around the living room. Whatever you like doing is a good beginning as long as you move. It’s better than sitting in front of a computer reading my gibberish ;)!
5 simple steps. Try them, live with them, and while you may not achieve Nirvana, you will be well on your way to a calmer, healthier and happier you.